Tools in the tutorial
No Photoshop users should look how Batch processing works in GIMP or other softwares
XnConvert can be used to batch convert all images. But the result can be different.
First of all download my map template. (This includes map, chars and turrets. All you need for texture changing)
Now you need to extract it to a folder you like.
The format is already done: Map11, DATA2 and Map11Levels (Map11 includes texture files for the map itself), (DATA2 include all characters), (Map11Levels has the Grass Color in it). All File types are PNG
Personally the best and fastest way to recolor all images is to use the bulk edit mode in Photoshop. Sadly I don’t use any other software but it’s just recoloring right now. It can be also done in GIMP or Paint.net. But the way is a bit different and you need to touch any texture manually.
For the bulk mode open up Photoshop
1. We load one terrain texture into Photoshop to color correct it. *\TemplateCustomMap\Map11\assets\maps\kitpieces\srx\textures\base_botlane_ground_d.srx_envart.png
2. I made now a simple color change using Black/White and hue.
3. To make it easy we will create a LUT out of it. (Make sure your texture is set as background) Can be done if you flatten the image and copy paste your color changes.
4. Now go to “File -> Export -> Color Lookup Table”
5. A window will popup. Set the output to .cube. (We only need this one but the other ones will also work) Then click on “OK”
6. Now you need to save it. I prefer to choose the same folder were the skin folder is so if you need to update your skin you also have your color correction in there.
7. Now we setup the automatic program. Go to Window -> Actions
8. You will see this window. Add now a new folder. Name it whatever you want.
9. After that select the folder you created and click on the “+” icon. This will create your first action. Name it whatever you want and click on “Record”
10. We record the action now. Select the LUT we created and click on Save As: DDS (If you have the Plugin installed) or PNG. (I will directly save it as DDS so I don’t need to convert the textures with XnConvert) For DDS make sure your using DXT5 or Color + Alpha. So we don’t lose the alpha channel.
11. If all is done STOP your recording.
12. Close all your files so you have a blank Photoshop.
13. Open all texture files which are in DATA2 and MAP11. You can do all texture folders seperatly if you want to avoid memory problems. My tip is to search for .png so you can select all textures at ones.
14. After all textures are loaded you want to modify all selected files. File -> Automate -> Batch…
15. This will appear. Copy my setup. Set: “Your Folder in Actions” and your “Action” you recorded. Source: Opened Files and destination to Save and Close. After that click on OK and the magic will happen. All files will be closed after finishing it.
16. After that if you exported as DDS you need to delete all png files by searching them and “Select all -> Delete”.
If you exported as PNG the files will be replaced and now you can select the MAP11 and DATA2 Folder and put it into XnConvert. Convert it to .DDS and delete original to make the process faster.
17. Now we come to MAP11Levels. We will now recolor the grass. For this we need the plugin for dds because they have a specific dds format that can’t be used in XnConvert.
18. Open all to Photoshop and go to the Actions Window again.
19. Go to Save and select it. Your able to modify the output format. The save file can be random placed. I would delete it after doing it. Don’t replace it with your current files.
Intel Texture works plug-in: You will come now to this screen. Choose Texture Type Color and Compression: none 32bpp (Lossless, no compression) and click on OK.
Nvidia dds plug-in: Choose Format type 220.127.116.11 BGRA 32 bpp unsigned and compression quality highest
20. After that go to File -> Automate -> Batch… again and do the same progress as 15.
Now you have all textures correct and you can make a mod out of it.
21. Open up LCS Manager and create a new mod
22. Add now all the infos and your raw folders: DATA2, Map11 and Map11Levels and click on Save
23. After it’s finished your able to load it ingame.
24. To avoid quality problems for users who uses: Not “Very High” or “High” quality you need to to add 2x_ and 4x_ to it. (Also for Champions) I do it normally with XnConvert. Map11 and DATA2 need this. Just drag both folders into the program and do this:
Make sure that you don’t delete the original files!
2x is 50% Resolution
4x is 25% Resolution
Now we added the support for lower resolutions.
25. Now edit your mod by removing Map11 and DATA2 and readd it to the mod using the raw method like before in 22.
26. If all is done you can export your mod in Fantome format